Frequently Asked Questions
- Question： When and how can I get details of the application requirements and the application documents?
- Answer: The Foundation sends out necessary documents to the student affairs office and the international student affairs office of each nominated university approximately in the middle of March. Please ask at the office of your university if you are a student of a nominated university.
- Question : Can I apply directly to the Foundation?
- Answer : No, you cannot. Please follow instructions of the student affairs office or the international student affairs office of the nominated university.
- Question : When is the application period for scholarship?
- Answer : Approximate period of the application is from mid-March to late May every year. Each university, however, has their own time schedule. Please confirm at the student affairs office or the international student affairs office of the university.
- Question : Is my university selected as the nominated university?
- Answer : Please refer to the list of "Nominated Universities" on this web site.
- Question : I have already been granted scholarship by other institution. Am I eligible to apply to the Mitsubishi UFJ Trust Scholarship Foundation for its scholarship on this occassion?
- Answer : According to the rules of the Foundation, you are eligible even if you receive scholarship payments from other institutions. But you must be careful not all of the institutions have the same rules as the Foundation. You should confirm whether other institutions could accept it or not when you need to receive both.
If you are an international student to study in Japan, you will lose your eligibility for scholarship of the Foundation when you start to receive financial aids from Japanese Government.
- Question : I have entered graduate school while working for a company. Am I eligible for scholarship of the Foundation?
- Answer : Basically, we do not adopt working students. Please consult the student affairs office or the international student affairs office of your university if you have special circumstances.
- Question : Is there any scholarship to support international students to study outside Japan?
- Answer : There is no system of the Foundation to support international students to study outside Japan, as the Foundation basically qualifies domestic nominated universities to recommend candidates.
If you are a scholarship student of the Foundation who wants to go abroad to study, please contact us for details through the student affairs office and the international student affairs office of the university.
- Question : Do you adopt a student at the middle of a school year?
- Answer : No, we don’t adopt students at the middle of a school year. However, even if you are enrolled in the fall, you will be eligible if you are already enrolled during the application period and can be recommended by the nominated university. In this case, scholarship will be paid after April as well as that of spring enrollment students.
- Question : Are there any income restrictions of a guardian?
- Answer : There is a specific amount restriction on income of a guardian for a Japanese student. It does not apply to an international student.
- Question : I am a senior student at present and am planning to go on to a graduate school of the same university after graduation. On the assumption that I was adopted this year, could you also continue to grant scholarship for me to study at the graduate school?
- Answer : As you are senior at your undergraduate school now, your scholarship grants will be finished at the end of this school year. We make each course - undergraduate course, master course, doctor course a unit of scholarships and complete payment within each course. However, students can apply again when they advance to higher courses of nominated universities. Please confirm the conditions in detail and apply through each university.
- Question : Can a freshman of a university apply for the scholaraship?
- Answer : We regret to say that only sophomores upwards are eligible for undergraduate students.
- Question : Do you accept instant photographs for the application?
- Answer : Instant photographs are sufficient as long as it is bust photo and the size fits in. Please be sure that your face is clear and identifiable.
- Question : Should the guarantor not only sign but also stamp the seal in the guarantor's space on the letter of pledge?
- Answer : If the guarantor has a seal, please stamp with a seal to differ from that of the scholarship student. If he/she does not have, please sign next to the printed name.
- Question : Is there any interview by the Foundation on application?
- Answer : There is no interview by the Foundation upon application. After adoption, the Foundation carries out interviews with each student once in a year basis. We will inform each student for details of interview through the office of the university.
For special scholarship students from abroad, interviews are to be held on a quarterly basis in general.
- Question : Are the scholarship students to be bound by any obligation?
- Answer : Participation in Foundation events such as annual interview and exchange meeting is required at the time of application.
The qualification may be canceled if the student is regarded not suitable as a scholarship student of the Foundation. For example, his/her academic record has become extremely poor, the Foundation request such as certain documents submission is neglected, and his/her behavior disturbs the normal social order, etc.
- Question : Do I have to return the scholarship? Are there any future restrictions on becoming a scholarship student?
- Answer : The Foundation's scholarship is a benefit type and there is no obligation to repay. There are no restrictions on the course after graduation, either.
- Question : I heard that the adoption shall be made in June. When shall students receive the first scholarship?
- Answer : We send notifications of adoption to each university after determined in June. When you receive the notification, you need to open a bank account following the instructions by the Foundation. The Foundation effects the first scholarship payment after mid-July on condition that we properly received the details of the account and the written oath signed by you and the guarantor.
- Question : Is the first scholarship paid for June?
- Answer : The Foundation effects payment retroactively from April. Therefore, the first scholarship will be paid sequentially with a total amount of six months (April-June and July-September) provided the necessary documents are received.
- Question : Are there any restrictions by nationality?
- Answer : The scholarship candidate should be a Japanese or an international student who goes to undergraduate or graduate school in Japan and that should be one of the nominated schools of the Foundation. There is no restriction by nationality in general, however, conditions may be specified for each university in order to balance the entire scholarship.
- Question : Can a research student also be a scholarship candidate?
- Answer : Research students are not eligible.
- Question : In which language shall I write on the application documents?
- Answer : Please write in Japanese. If you are an official international student on premise of taking classes in English at the undergraduate or graduate school of a nominated university and you have difficulty in expressing in Japanese writing, we might accept English writing.
- Question : Is ability of Japanese language required?
- Answer : Recently, there are cases where the nominated universities accept students on the premise of teaching in English, so learning and researching at universities will not have any problems with English alone. There, however, must be many opportunities to interact with the general public while living and researching with Japanese students at Japanese universities. Scholarship students are expected to have the will to learn Japanese language and culture.
| Annual Schedule »