Outline of the Scholarship Grant Program
The Foundation celebrated its 65th anniversary in 2018.
During the past half-century, the main project of the Foundation, the scholarship program, showed a remarkable growth. There were only two general scholarship students in 1953 when the Foundation was inaugurated.
The number has increased gradually and about 350 general scholarship students received scholarships each year. (Please see graph below)
The total number of scholarship students under the program up to academic year 2021 reached 6,880, including 812 international students (including 124 special scholarship students).
The total annual payment by the Foundation exceeded 200 million yen in recent years. The accumulated scholarship amount paid since establishment exceeds 6.6 billion yen.
Scholarship funds are covered by investment of assets.
Progress by Number of General Scholarship Students (Recent Quarter Century)
（for the period of fiscal 1997～2021）
Adoption of Students
The Foundation administers its scholarship grants under the provisions of "The Rules Concerning Scholarship Students" and "The Rules Concerning Special Scholarship Students from Abroad". Among the scholarship candidates recommended by 48 nominated universities (cf:"Nominated Universities
") in Japan and 5 international universities for special scholarship students (cf:"Special Scholarship Nominated Universities
"), the Screening Committee determines the adoption of scholarship students under authority delegated by the Board of Directors. The adoption is notified to the candidates through each university.
Eligibility and outlines of the scholarship for Japanese and international students (excluding special scholarship students from abroad) are as follows.
Eligibility (Please see 'Application'.)
- As of April in the year of application, the applicant shall be a sophomore or older of a nominated university and shall have an excellent academic record with a good personality and be in good health.
The applicant shall have difficulty in paying academic costs. (There are also limitations on age and income. Please refer to "On Application" for further information. Please refer to the Japanese page "募集について" for detailed limitations for Japanese applicants.)
- The applicant shall be recommended by the president of the university.
- The applicant shall have the intention of engaging in business or scientific studies in his or her future career.
- The applicant shall open a banking account after adoption with the bank which the Foundation designates.
- The applicant shall give priority to attending events of the Foundation.
Categories of Scholarship
The scholarship is a grant and students do not need to repay.
Scholarship students of the Foundation may also receive scholarship or grants from other institutions or foundations concurrently. The categories and amounts of scholarship of the Foundation are as follows.
|International undergraduate student
|International graduate student
The duration of scholarship is the shortest period of regular enrollment with the university where the student studies, starting from the first semester of the school year in which the student is adopted by the Foundation.
- The Foundation, believing it important for students to meet people, not only supports scholarship students financially, but also hosts activities beneficial to students, helping them to make good use of time for their study and research or to play active roles in society in the future.
- The Foundation helps students through personal interviews, holding exchange meetings, issuing the annual report "Scholarship" in order for students to maintain close exchange among themselves or with members of the Foundation and to have opportunities to improve themselves.
- The alumnni association of the Foundation was established in 1996 and exchange parties hosted by them have been held each year. We strongly hope that students will keep in touch with the Foundation even after payments of scholarships end.